He received his PhD in Computer Science in 1996 from Université Paris-Sud. From 1997 to 2001, he joined the Graphic Design group at the Ecole des Mines de Nantes that he led from 2000 to 2001. He was then invited to join the Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory at the University of Maryland in the USA in 2001-2002. He was recruited by INRIA in 2002 as a confirmed researcher and became Senior Research Scientist in 2006. In 2015, he was on Sabbatical at the Visualization and Computer Graphics group at NYU-Poly, and at the Visual Computing Group at Harvard.
His main Research areas are Visual Analytics, Information Visualization and Human Computer Interaction. He published more than 150 articles in multiple conferences and journals, including the most prestigious in visualization (TVCG, InfoVis, EuroVis, PacificVis) and Human-Computer Interaction (CHI, UIST).
He is the chair of the IEEE Information Visualization Conference Steering Committee, member of the IEEE VIS Executive Committee, member of the Eurographics EuroVis Steering Committee, and member of the Eurographics publication board. He is also an ACM Distinguished Speaker.
Jean-Daniel Fekete was the General Chair of the IEEE VIS Conference in 2014, the first time it was held outside of the USA in Paris, Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) 2011-2015, the President of the French-Speaking HCI Association (AFIHM) 2009-2013, he was Conference Chair of the IEEE InfoVis Conference in 2011, Paper Co-Chair of the IEEE Pacific Visualization conference in 2011.
- Mathieu Le Goc, Lawrence Kim, Ali Parsaei, Jean-Daniel Fekete, Pierre Dragicevic, et al.. Zooids: Building Blocks for Swarm User Interfaces. Proceedings of the Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST), Oct 2016, New York, NY, United States. pp.97 - 109, 2016, (Best Paper Award)
- Michael Behrisch, Benjamin Bach, Nathalie Henry Riche, Tobias Schreck, Jean-Daniel Fekete. Matrix Reordering Methods for Table and Network Visualization. Computer Graphics Forum, Wiley, 2016, 35, pp.24.
- Benjamin Bach, Nathalie Henry-Riche, Tim Dwyer, Tara Madhyastha, Jean-Daniel Fekete, et al.. Small MultiPiles: Piling Time to Explore Temporal Patterns in Dynamic Networks. Computer Graphics Forum, May 2015, Cagliari, Italy. The Eurographics Association and John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2015.
- Charles Perin, Romain Vuillemot, Jean-Daniel Fekete. SoccerStories: A Kick-off for Visual Soccer Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2013. (Best Paper Honorable Mention)
- B. Alper, B. Bach, N. Henry Riche, T. Isenberg and J-D. Fekete. Weighted Graph Comparison Techniques for Brain Connectivity Analysis. In S. Brewster, S. Bødker, P. Baudisch and M. Beaudouin-Lafon, editors, Proceedings of the 2013 Annual Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2013, April 27-May 2, 2013, Paris, France), New York, États-Unis, 2013. ACM, ACM. (Best Paper Award)
- L. Micallef, P. Dragicevic and J-D. Fekete. Assessing the Effect of Visualizations on Bayesian Reasoning Through Crowdsourcing. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, October 2012. (Best Paper Honorable Mention)
- Daniel Keim, Gennady Andrienko, Jean-Daniel Fekete, Carsten Görg, Jörn Kohlhammer, et al.. Visual Analytics: Definition, Process and Challenges. Andreas Kerren and John T. Stasko and Jean-Daniel Fekete and Chris North. Information Visualization - Human-Centered Issues and Perspectives, Springer, pp.154-175, 2008, LNCS.